Application deadline: 21 February 2021:
Programme Associate – Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE) Education.
Support regional coordination on PVE agenda
- Participate in the identification of good practices in the areas of PVE, conflict prevention and peacebuilding by sharing knowledge and approaches for better serving national counterparts and ensuring relevance of programming.
- Assist in the development and dissemination of tools for PVE across the regional community of practice.
- Support the organization of events related to PVE, such as roundtable discussions; UN/DP technical missions and coordination with national counterparts and civil society; draft briefs and updates on PVE efforts for tailored audience; maintain contacts with relevant stakeholders, including NGOs, research institutions, etc.
- Contribute to seek entry points and opportunities for synergies and collaboration. This may include liaison and exchange with regional initiatives both at the level of the Middle East and North Africa and Africa Regional Hub with the objective to enhance in-country knowledge and share expertise.
Support development, implementation, Monitoring & Evaluation, and reporting of PVE programmatic interventions in the region
- Support the PVE programmatic interventions in the region through coordination, communication, and knowledge sharing, as appropriate;
- Support drafting and revising briefing notes, reports, concept notes, analytic papers, talking points, and proposals as may be required;
- Perform analysis and research in the thematic areas across the region through online sources and virtual libraries to help the team and network practitioners be abreast of trends and developments (both on VE policies and initiatives around issues of gender, human rights, rule of law, media, etc).
- Assist in planning and organization of necessary administrative support to missions, workshops/webinars, other project activities,
- Support the development of M&E plans and risk management plans with reflecting contextual indicators and measures for mitigation;
- Coordinate with PVE M&E and reporting colleagues at the Country Offices for inputs into M&E Framework and reports as required and applicable.
Stakeholder and partners coordination
- Help to maintain relations with relevant stakeholders and partners including UN agencies, government, civil society, and PVE networks, including (updating stakeholders and partners’ mapping documents and spreadsheets);
- Support the coordination of partnerships/relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, donors and partners to understand needs, identify resources and gain support;
- Analyse and research information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation; accompany the identification of opportunities for initiation of new areas of cooperation; support exchange at regional level through initiatives and sharing of lessons learned and good practices.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding, Role of Law, Prevention of Violent Extremism, and related fields
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Interest in human rights, gender issues would be highly regarded;
- Previous experience in coordinating activities, organizing events, as well as proven communication and drafting skills (English) are required.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
- Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
- Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
- Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel
Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Creativity, Planning and Organizing, Respect for Diversity, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
UN Youth Volunteers should be between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. This assignment is funded by the Government of Finland, therefore only Finnish nationals are eligible to apply.
Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’.
You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile.
Application deadline: 21 February 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment.
COVID-19: In case of travel restrictions, assignments may start remotely.