What are the Ashden Awards?
The Ashden Awards boost outstanding climate solutions. For more than 20 years our awards have backed radical ideas delivering lower emissions and a fairer world, with grants and development support on offer to winners and finalists.
Now, in a pivotal year for the future of our planet, we want to hear about your bold and brilliant work. Entry to the awards is free, and applications close on Wednesday 3 March. Winners receive a prize of up to £20,000 and a package of support.
This year’s award categories include greener communities, energy access, green skills, natural climate solutions, sustainable cooling and more. Some categories focus on the UK, and others cover work in low- and middle-income countries. Businesses, public bodies and charities can all apply.
- Ashden Award for humanitarian energy – Award prize: £20,000
- Ashden Award for natural climate solutions – Award prize: £20,000
- Ashden Award for energy access innovation – Award prize: £20,000
- Ashden Award for cooling in informal settlements – Award prize: £20,000
- Ashden Award for climate innovation in the UK – Award prize: £10,000
- Ashden Award for green skills – Award prize: £10,000
- Ashden Award for green communities – Award prize: £10,000
- Winning an Ashden Award brings a prize of up to £20,000 as well as ongoing development support, from professional mentoring to pro-bono legal help.
- The Ashden put winners in front of funders, investors, policymakers, journalists and others who know the unique value of an Ashden Award and the strength of rigorous assessment process.
- The Ashden will create a promotional film about applicants work and tell their story in mainstream and specialist media, and through growing digital channels. The Ashden has helped previous winners gain coverage in The Telegraph, Al Jazeera, New Scientist and other leading international publications.
- As an award winner, applicants’ views, needs and insights will be at the heart of influential reports, toolkits and events – which shape the views of key climate decision makers.
- All winners join the Ashden network – giving them the chance to connect with new partners through masterclasses, investor pitching events and introductions to influential policy makers.
- Businesses, NGOs, government organisations, social enterprises and community groups are all eligible. Work must be currently available to clients, customers or beneficiaries.
- The Ashden Awards for green skills and green communities are open to work in the UK.
- The Ashden Award for climate innovation in the UK is open to work in Britain and Europe – but European applicants must spend the prize money bringing their work to the UK.
- The five remaining awards are only open to work in low- and middle-income countries, as defined by the World Bank.
- The natural climate solutions award focuses on solutions in the Amazon basin, Congo Basin and South East Asian rainforest.